Thursday, March 12, 2009

Man of Steele (not)


It's time for Michael Steele to go. It's that simple if the GOP wants to remain a viable alternative to the Democrats. Steele has exhibited the rare political gift of looking as foolish apologizing for his gaffes as he has making them. Instead of providing leadership, he's been a distraction -- a welcome diversion during our economic apocalypse -- but ultimately not a leader. The real clincher for me comes in his latest interview in GQ.


A quick summary of some of the choice passages:



GQ: I was kinda expecting hip-hop to be playing in here today.

Steele: Aw, sh—. It’s on my, uh, computer there. I haven’t pulled it up yet, but I’ll get a little bit goin’ in a second or two.

...

GQ: How do you deal with the criticism?

Steele: I just pray on it.

GQ: You do?

Steele: Oh yeah. And I ask God, “Hey, let me show just a little bit of love, so I absolutely don’t go out and kick this person’s ass.”

...

GQ: Despite all the hits you’ve taken, you sound pretty excited to be
here.

Steele: I’ll tell you, it’s a real honor. It’s good. It’s good. It’s fun. It’s exciting. It’s an opportunity that, growing up here in D.C., I never thought I’d get. And now here I am. I mean, who’da thunk it in 1963 that
in 2009 two black men would sit on top of the political world of this country? How friggin’ awesome is that? You cannot look at that and not go, “Wow.”


Yeah, Michael Steele sounds way more fun to hang out with than Rush Limbaugh, but is this really the tone the GOP wants to set right now? Clearly, Steele seems to think his language will resonate with young people, but it's more likely to remind them of Bush. After 8 years of incompetence and the malapropisms that came to symbolize Bush's follies, "friggin' awesome" should not grace the lips of any savvy Republican leader. This is doubly true when an economic crisis is threatening to push the nation into another depression. The Republicans need to re-establish themselves as a sober and serious party. Steele's not "off the hook." He's just off.
UPDATE: The revolt begins in the GOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment